7 Rare Rainbow Formations
Circular rainbows: Most of the rainbows we see are actually arcs of perfect circles (with, accordingly, radii of exactly 42 degrees).
Secondary rainbows: Primary rainbows are often accompanied by secondary rainbows that are usually thinner and dimmer than the main rainbow. They display the spectrum in reverse order from that of a primary rainbow.
Red rainbows: Red rainbows are usually seen at sunrise or sunset when the thickness of the earth’s atmosphere filters out blue light leaving more red or orange light for water droplets to reflect and refract.
Sundog: Sundogs are not rainbows per se, but share many of their visible attributes. Sundogs are created when sunlight shines through ice crystals high in the atmosphere.
Fogbow: Fogbows are much rarer than rainbows because certain narrow parameters must align to create them. For one, the light source must be behind the observer and low to the ground. Also, any fog to the rear of the observer must be very thin so that sunlight can shine through to the thicker fog in front.
Fire rainbows: Fire rainbows are not true rainbows. The phenomenon (called a “circumhorizontal arc”) can only be viewed under certain precise conditions: the cirrus clouds that act as prisms must be at least 20,000 feet high and the sun must strike them when it is at an elevation of 58 to 68 degrees.
Moonbow: Moonbows are much more difficult to witness due to the requirement of a passing rainstorm and, ideally, a bright full moon unblocked by clouds.
secondary rainbows? the fuck. DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!!
28633 Notes/ Hide
- insanityforyousir reblogged this from coshibainu
- insanityforyousir likes this
- coshibainu reblogged this from somethingso-divided
- coshibainu likes this
- capricornstar likes this
- cheekbonesarethenewsexy reblogged this from chaos-defies-imagination
- somethingso-divided reblogged this from chaos-defies-imagination
- somethingso-divided likes this
- chaos-defies-imagination reblogged this from porcelainkasper
- chrisalis105 reblogged this from djmarinizela
- fortheloveofthecosmos reblogged this from lovenotesx
- realgallagher likes this
- yarntheing reblogged this from yarntheing
- pepperalley likes this
- karaoke-nights likes this
- bowhunter72 likes this
- braziliananarchy reblogged this from justberandom
- babybewilderbeast reblogged this from areallady
- igotausername reblogged this from h4h4h4h4
- igotausername likes this
- lorutte likes this
- wavescrashing-and-stargazing likes this
- mikaeradesu reblogged this from mikacapiral
- swedishny likes this
- mojojojo449 reblogged this from skyuki
- mojojojo449 likes this
- winter-willows likes this
- skyuki reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- rainbwmanshe reblogged this from melvolition
- rainbwmanshe likes this
- makingsouflees likes this
- particelleinstabili reblogged this from pa-pa-pa-la
- hydfreak likes this
- dudeitsdon reblogged this from dominicky
- delenaxd reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- aslongaslmbreathing reblogged this from monograham
- aslongaslmbreathing likes this
- rice-ah likes this
- thisguymichael likes this
- monograham reblogged this from theavidreader
- monograham likes this
- dominicky reblogged this from theavidreader
- dominicky likes this
- sergiohouses reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- melvolition reblogged this from alllofmeee
- theavidreader reblogged this from rhythm-of-time
- alllofmeee reblogged this from relaxitsjordyjor
- relaxitsjordyjor likes this
- relaxitsjordyjor reblogged this from rhythm-of-time